Sunday, July 8, 2012

Playa del Carmen

When we celebrated our 10 yr. anniversary last summer, Rowan was just a few months old and all of our big "10 year" vacation plans went out the window.  So Ryan,(being the awesome husband that he his) got right to work on planning a fabulous trip for my 30th birthday, and he didn't fail to disappoint, this was definitely my best vacation yet.

These are a bit our of order but here they are...
My forever dream came true on this trip.  I FINALLY can check this off my bucket list.
Not only did we get to pet, hold, swim, and ride with the dolphins, we got 4 full hours of hang out time with them.  We learned so much about how they train, what they eat, etc.  They are such amazing creatures, I am more in love and obsessed with them now then I was before.  This was such a great day.
These pictures cost us a fortune but they are priceless to me! 

Snorkeling in Akumal...




Within a few minutes of swimming far out into the ocean, we saw a turtle, then another, then another...they just were everywhere!  It was so amazing! We could have gone for a ride with them if it wasn't against the rules to touch them. 


A turtle popping his head up for a little air...so cute.




Stingray were everywhere...

We also saw a Barracuda Fish, it was huge and freaked me out a little.  I thought it was a shark at first, I'm bummed we didn't get a picture of it.  We also saw some jelly fish, and tons of tropical fish.

Here is a Spotted Stingray.


I think this is such a cool pic of Jordan and Alexis coming over the reef...it reminds me of the little mermaid!


 Brothers...awww






 The Hotel "Catalonia Royal Tulum".  Very very nice.  I highly recommend it!

checking in, Ryan is just a little excited, hehe!!

We initially planned this trip with my whole side of the family, but everyone, one by one, had things come up that prevented them from coming, so Jordan and Alexis said they would come, and we were THRILLED to have another couple to join us, they were awesome and we had so much fun with them!
  These guys were walking around everywhere.  Pretty cool get-ups.
 The lizards were everywhere...

 Here we are at the bridge over the cenote at our hotel.

 These little critters were so so cute!  We could pet them and if you had food they would swarm around you and snatch it out of your hand!








 The beach...ahhh. Heavenly.  This was our first day.  We walked along the beach and found a huge awesome sea shell to bring home to Paisley.  We also saw lots of crab, which was so cool to me.  The water and beach was straight out of a travel brochure, just perfect!


Doing some shopping downtown Playa del Carmen on 5th Ave.  This little town was so much fun!  We found lots of cool gifts for the kids.  A dress for Rowan, and Nacho Libre Cape for Noah, and a purse for Paisley.  The entertainment along the street was cool too, people swinging down from ropes off poles at the town square, people dancing with fire hula hoops and wands, Mariachi Bands...it was fun.
  You could pay an arm and a leg to hold these little guys.  Jordan and Alexis decided it was worth it.  They were sooo cute and cuddly.






Such a cool hotel down town...

We had a funny little towel person on our bed every day upon returning to our room...
The guys of course had to try out one of the luxurious golf courses.


 We took this trail off the dirt road to find a cenote.  It was SOOO cool!


  This fresh water cenote felt so good, and was absolutely beautiful.  I have never seen anything like it.
Jordan diving in...


Unlimited Pina Coladas and Bahama Mama's...virgin of course!  Oh so good.
One day we went out as the sun was rising and it was so beautiful and quiet...


The balcony to our room on a rainy evening.  Every evening it rained for about an hour, and when it rains there it POURS.  The thunder would crash, and it was LOUD.  One night we walked down to the beach and just watched the lightening light up the sky across the ocean and pound with thunder.  I have never enjoyed a storm so much.


 The food...where do I begin?  Lets just say, once again this resort did not disappoint.  We had a choice of Restaurants..Italian, Mexican, Stake House, Buffet, and Mediterranean (which we were sad was closed the whole time).  Everything was great.  The Buffet was my least favorite, but still pretty good for a Buffet.  I am pretty picky with food, and I thought everything was fabulous!  The waiters got to know me as "The girl that drinks a lot of Diet Pepsi and likes lots of ice!" Something they aren't used to.  I would sit down and just say, "Bring me 3!" Because they never brought refills fast enough!  I looked forward to the food every day, such a highlight.

On my birthday we went to Tulum, and went Snorkeling.  Here we are about to enter the city. 

The Myan Ruin on the hill above us was a watch tower.  It was very hot and humid, hence the foggy look of the picture.  Our video camera even stopped working due to the condensation.

From here you can see the Governors house along with a few of the Temples.  There was so much history there.  I found it interesting how so much can be discovered about these people simply from their architecture.  Our tour guides name was Abinidi...wonder where that name came from.


 The fertility temple...i.e. kind of like the maternity ward of a hospital.



We took lots of naps...it was great.  I had to get a picture of these two zonked out.  Talk about relaxed!
  I loved me a Bahama Mama followed by a nap by the pool.
Those 3 little specs are Jordan, Alexis, and Ryan in the water...

 One thing I really loved was that this place was hidden so well, and there was no other hotels around.  As you can see, we were the only ones on the beach at this time.  It did get crowded at times, but never "overcrowded".  It was so quiet and chill there.  It was nice to not have a million people around everywhere we went.  It was catered to tourists, but not filled with tourists.  Once again...perfect.
 We saw several old abandoned hotels, it was kind of sad.  But cool to explore.


There was a beautiful house all alone on the beach here...we want to buy it.
Fresh turtle tracks...


One last walk along the beach...

Best 30th birthday ever!  We are already planning a trip to return!

No comments: